Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Prints & Patterns


My goal for September was to clean out all my closets. I found lots of clothes I'd completely forgotten about. Some items were keepers, natch, but most didn't fit or were otherwise unwearable.

Despite all logic, I'm reluctant to throw certain things away. Like a pair of seersucker short shorts I wore one particularly good summer. Sentimental value? I dunno. It's a pattern of mine. I'm reluctant to throw anything away until I've used it for all it's worth.

That's when I noticed the fabric on the shorts is still good, very good. And, hey!, at one time I liked them enough to drape it across my derriere (think chocolate and turquoise plaid). I just wouldn't squeeze my body into it anymore.

Let's just say I have better judgment now, because even though I might not wear the seersucker short shorts on my body, I wouldn't mind seeing the pattern used in another way.

So, this article from the now defunct Blueprint, has inspired my next project. To upcycle those plaid short shorts into a preppy little bangle bag.



Here are the instructions, which I'm sorry to say are hard to read on this blog.



Want more ideas of new uses for old things? Here are 50 from Real Simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment